Founded in Fishergate, Preston in 1802 during the reign of George 111 and before the battles of Trafalgar and Waterloo, we are in our sixth generation of Mears family control in a direct father to son line.
Originally brush manufactures and wholesale and retail hardware merchants, we quickly added other merchandise which included toys, fancy and leather goods, carpets, complete house furniture and furnishings from our additional vast Friargate and Bambers Yard five-floor premises.
When a fire destroyed half the Friargate buildings in 1984, the complete sites were sold by us to become the expansion of the St Georges shopping centre on Friargate and part of Boots Chemists on Fishergate. It was at this point that we decided to specialise solely in carpets and floorcovering, which for many years had been a major and favourite side of the business. This was set up temporarily in our Longworth Street warehouse which had fed our two stores.
It was an immediate success and became permanent with the addition of several adjacent premises a short time later. Since making the decision to specialise, the business has greatly expanded and we now supply virtually all the major house builders in the north of England with carpets, wood laminate and vinyl floorings.
We also contract to factories, offices, universities, hotels, hospitals and government departments throughout the UK. We were proud to be selected as the sole flooring contractors for the new Manchester Law Courts. In 1999, after several years of searching, a new three-acre site was purchased, which is conveniently situated on Longridge Road adjacent to junction 31A of the M6.
Here work commenced on our new custom-built showrooms which were opened in June 2000, virtually 200 years after our founding in 1802. We are now looking forward with confidence to our next 200 years of business, offering our usual Quality, Service and Value to the people of Preston, Lancashire and indeed throughout the Uk.